Diageo creates the “Virtual Good Host Guide”
Diageo, the maker of Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, and Guinness, has today launched the ‘Virtual Good Host Guide’. With new research finding that half of Brits (47%) are planning on catching up with friends and family online this historic bank holiday weekend, the ‘Virtual Good Host Guide’ is designed to provide tips to people planning their next virtual get-together.
Through a series of short animations, the ‘Virtual Good Host Guide’ provides a range of top tips; from encouraging hosts to pick a theme for their online celebrations; to planning the perfect shared playlist; to reminding people to measure their pour when making drinks.
Launched on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, the ‘Virtual Good Host Guide’ builds on the launch of Diageo’s first ‘Good Host Guide’ back in December 2019, which saw Diageo team up with Fred Sirieix, host of First Dates and one of the UK’s most renowned Maître d’s, and demonstrates Diageo’s long-standing commitment to promoting positive drinking through moderation.
The polling also found that British adults have arranged virtual catch-ups around themes including virtual crocheting, gardening and museum tours. This weekend they are looking at innovative and creative approaches to getting together with their friends and family, such as:
- A country of (now virtual) foodies, 67% of the public are contemplating holding virtual BBQs, Sunday lunches or cooking competitions
- 1 in 5 are considering taking part in a historical re-enactment (21%)
- Over a quarter are thinking about hosting a theatre reading (26%)
- Nearly half are open to conducting a virtual murder mystery game (40%)
Dayalan Nayager, Managing Director, Diageo Great Britain, Ireland and France said: “The UK bank holiday weekend is traditionally spent with family and friends and so as we all navigate the challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to provide tips to help people be successful virtual hosts instead. This guide serves up great tips in an accessible format and will help people make positive and responsible choices about alcohol at home.”
Diageo’s top tips for being a responsible virtual host:
- Plan a theme: get everyone involved
- Pick the perfect guest list: smaller can be better
- Make time to eat: food is your friend
- Share party playlists: keep the beats coming
- Measure your pour: drink better not more
- Not talking? Hit mute! Ah that’s better
- Mix it up with up a mocktail: cheers!
- Pace Yourself: savour the moment
All tips and the full Guide are available to watch here.